IMPORTANT: As of, 7/1/2018, ISBE is currently offering full reciprocity to educators who have a Bachelor's degree and a valid license from another state.
Information provided in this document is subject to change at any time.
Upon evaluation, additional documents may be requested by ISBE prior to the license being issued.

1. If you hold a valid out-of-state educator or school support personnel license, you will qualify for an Illinois Professional Educator License, with endorsements as similar as possible to the out-of-state license.
• A minimum of a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution is required

2. Log into the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS) at
• Click on “Teachers”.
• Click on “Log in to Elis”.
• Click on “Login to your ELIS account” under “Educator Access”.
• Select “Click here for first time access to the ELIS system” on the right side of the page, or enter your login and password if your ELIS account has already been created.
• Once you fill in all of the required fields, click on “continue”.
• Once logged into ELIS, you will click on “Apply for an Illinois Professional Educator License” (PEL) and follow the application wizard. Apply for a PEL in the content and grade range closest to your out-of-state license. Application fee is $150.00 plus transaction fee.
• If you completed an out-of-state program but were not issued a license, or your out-of-state license has expired, you will be required to complete additional forms.

Documents Required for Evaluation:
• Send official transcripts and a copy of your out-of-state license, either to your ROE (preferred) or to ISBE in Springfield.
• If you do not have a valid out-of-state license, send Form #80-02 - Completion of Standards Verification, to your University, which can be found at - Beginning July 1, 2013, Illinois requires additional coursework in reading methods and content area reading, special education methods and ESL methods. This coursework can be imbedded into other coursework that you completed as part of your out-of-state approved program as verified by your university. If you were required to take a test of basic skills for issuance of your out-of-state license as verified by your university, the Illinois test or basic skills test will be waived. To verify this information, the completed form is sent directly from the university to ISBE, per instructions on the top of the form.
• If your test of basic skills was taken in a different state than the state where you completed your approved educator prep program, you will need to use form #80-03.